The Village of Oregon, WI was first settled in 1841 and incorporated in 1883. The Water Tower, which towers over the Pump House, was first built of wood in 1899. A steel Water Tower replaced the wooden structure in 1921. The yellow brick Pump House located below the tower was built at the same time. The new steel Water Tower was functional until 1981. The Pump House has been mainly used as a village storage building. In 1984, the Water Tower and Pump House were declared a local cultural landmark, and seeing the historic significance of both, residents worked with the State Historical Society to obtain the designation of state and national historical landmarks on October 16th, 2007.
There have been previous attempts to save the pump house and water tower from deterioration and even demolition. In 2006, an Oregon resident proposed lighting the Water Tower with decorative lights. Other residents applied for grants to repaint the Water Tower, but were not successful. Fast forward to 2013, Randy Glysch, a new resident to Oregon and Master Gardener, proposed to the Historic Preservation Commission and Village Board, a project to install landscaping around the Pump House. He also formed the group, Friends of Historic Oregon Water Tower. When the Village newspaper, the Oregon Observer, printed a story regarding the proposed landscaping, interest in restoring the Pump House became very important to residents of the village.